Local SEO for Lawyers: Tips Every Law Firm Should Apply
Chris Dreyer | March 19, 2013
Follow Attorney Rankings on LinkedIn for innovative law firm marketing tips.
Local law firm SEO is significantly different than global SEO. Where link-building plays a major role for global search engine optimization, geographic citations play an integral part of ranking well locally. Here is a beginner’s guide for every law firm looking to improve their local visibility.
• Target Geo-specific Keyword Phrases – Include these location keywords in the title tag: meta description and content of your website. If you have multiple locations you wish to target, create an exclusive location -specific page to target that phrase.
• Site-wide Name, Address and Phone Number – Include your firm’s name, address and phone number on every page of your website. Ideal positions include the sidebar and footer.
• Embed a Map – Go to Google Maps, and get an HTML code to embed to your website.
• Create a Geo-sitemap – Go to http://www.geositemapgenerator.com/ and create a Geo sitemap and KML file.
For more detailed information about proper Local SEO onsite optimization visit this link:
After you have optimized your law firm’s website for Local SEO, the next step is to list your firm in local search directories. Below is a list of the top ten local directories and top five local law firm directories.
Top 10 Local Directories:
Top 4 Free Local Law Firm Directories:
Reviews play a major role in local search. The best reviews contain geographic keywords in the review itself. On Google+ Local, you may respond to each individual review. Use keywords in your response, but make sure the response flows naturally and does not appear to be keyword-stuffing.
How To Get Reviews
• Follow-up Emails – Include a link to your local pages in every e-mail follow-up correspondence.
• Ask clients – Face-to-face requests are often the best converting.
• Ask peers – Peer reviews can be beneficial for specializations that do not prefer public results for cases. Peer reviews are great for bankruptcy and criminal defense attorneys.