How To Get Clients With LinkedIn For Attorneys [Comprehensive Guide]
Chris Dreyer | April 12, 2013
Follow Attorney Rankings on LinkedIn to be updated every time we find fantastic, innovative ways to market your law firm online.
There are many reasons why lawyers and law firms should use LinkedIn. By using LinkedIn you can connect with potential clients through organic search, increase brand recognition, employ targeted pay per click advertising, and cultivating relationships through social media conversation.
Step #1 Create An Optimized LinkedIn Profile
Sign up on LinkedIn.com using an email address that has your law firm’s url after the @ symbol. For example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some important optimization tips:
1. Fill out the profile completely using keywords and your full name.
2. Claim your vanity URL
3. Add “Skills and Expertise”
(Example: Chicago Personal Injury Attorney)
• Personal injury
• Auto accident
• Medical Malpractice
Here’s an example of my “Skills and Expertise”:
4. Take Advantage of Honors & Awards
If you have been awarded Super Lawyer, Avvo 10/10, AV Preeminent or any other legal achievement make sure to add them to this section. It may help improve your social proof and improve lead conversions.
5. Use A Descriptive Title
Make sure to include your website URL in your headline.
6. Fill Out The Contact Info Section Completely
When adding your website to the “contact info” section choose “Other,” and type in the name of your firm or URL for improved brand recognition.
In the example below I have used a descriptive title for my link “Marketing for Attorneys”. Lawyers may use descriptive titles as well like “Chicago personal injury lawyer” or “[insert Law Firm]”
[Video Tutorial] Click here for a video tutorial of how to create an optimized LinkedIn profile.
Step #2 Create An Optimized LinkedIn Company Profile
A company profile is a great place to feature your law firm and extend your social reach. A claimed profile will be visible on personal profile pages and can be followed by other LinkedIn users. In addition, you can acquire recommendations for your law firm and post blog content in this location. Any activity on the blog content will be shown on personal feeds, and if another user “likes” a status update or blog you’ve shared, it will also show up on their profile feed.
Law Firm company optimization tips:
1. Fill out the company summary completely to include keywords.
2. Include the name, address, and phone number (NAP), and make sure it is consistent with your listing on your website and local listings. If an address uses “street” then type “street”. Be consistent for all uses. NAP information is very important for local search results.
3. Complete the “Services” page.
Add all of your firm’s specializations (i.e. DUI, Criminal Law, Personal Injury, etc.)
Example service page:
[Video Tutorial] Click here for a video tutorial of how to create an optimized LinkedIn company page.
Step #3 – Create A Law Firm Group
By creating and managing a group you are automatically seen as an authority in regards to the group you created. A group is an insider community that you can use to network and spread your message.
At the minimum make sure to create a group for your law firm. However, it may be beneficial to create subgroups for each specialization to keep the communication on topic. A perfect subgroup for a criminal defense lawyer would be a DUI group.
Law firm group optimization tips:
1. Create a keyword rich or branded title for the group.
2. Complete a descriptive summary full of keywords and expectations.
3. Create a set of group rules to help moderate spam and direct promotion.
[Video Tutorial] Click here for a video tutorial of how to create an optimized LinkedIn group.
Step #3 – Join LinkedIn Groups
Many groups already have an established community that facilitates members’ conversations regarding similar interests. Joining these relevant niche groups will extend your message to the members of the group and help grow your personal connections. They are great for networking and growing your own personal LinkedIn connections and group memberships. Additionally, most group members can send messages to other members which is normally prohibited unless you are a member of the Openlink network.
How to join LinkedIn groups:
1. Do a keyword based search for groups.
2. Join niche (i.e. DUI, personal injury, criminal defense, etc.) and location (St Louis, Chicago, Miami, etc.) based relevant groups.
How to use LinkedIn groups:
1. Post blogs and group board appropriate discussions
2. Comment and engage with other members in discussions
3. Send group members PMs to continue a discussion or ask to connect.
[Video Tutorial] Click here to learn how to join relevant LinkedIn groups.
Step #4 – Optimize Your Profile Feed
After you have started to acquire many connections your feed will start to become very disorganized. Some connections will post too frequently cause your feed to flood and others will post off-topic content. It’s important to use the hide filter to optimize your feed so you can more easily track and respond to appropriate updates.
[Video Tutorial] Click here to watch a video on how to optimize your profile feed.
Step #5 – Get Connections
Here are 10 ways to get LinkedIn connections:
1. Important Connections By Email
2. Give Endorsements for “Skills & Expertise”
3. Write Recommendations
8. OpenLink Network Messaging (Free Inmails)
9. Inmails (Requires Premium Membership)
10. LinkedIn Ads
[Video Tutorial] Click here for a video walk-through of 10 ways to get LinkedIn connections.